Sponsored Links:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Portable xbmc on a usb flash drive or external drive
I understand there is Portable xbmc program which works using usb flash drive or external drive without having to install xbmc on your computer. So you can plug it in into any Windows computer and it will work without having to install xbmc on that computer.

Any tutorial on this and where (url) can one download the latest portable xbmc program  which can work from usb flash drive.?

Thanks
Sponsored Links:
Yes there's two options, OpenELEC or XBMCbuntu.

Personally I would go wtih OpenELEC it's a great distro, all the install instructions are on their wiki page Smile
WANT EARLY DEVELOPMENT RELEASE ACCESS?
All users who've helped out with a donation can now gain early access to the
latest test versions of add-ons, often weeks or months ahead of the public stable releases.

[Image: 11i3ihd.jpg]
But what OS in Windows does OpenElec support?  I am interested in portable xbmc in usb flash drive which will work with Win. Xp , 7 and 8. Thanks

(08-27-2014, 02:35 PM)whufclee link Wrote: Yes there's two options, OpenELEC or XBMCbuntu.

Personally I would go wtih OpenELEC it's a great distro, all the install instructions are on their wiki page Smile

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Both the portable options need to be run from the USB on boot. They don't run inside any other OS, they are the OS.

Basically they run a version of linux, you just boot up from USB rather than HDD and you have XBMC running off the USB stick. You can't access web browsers and stuff like that it's just a full version of XBMC running off the USB stick. If you want to load up your Windows or linux apps you just reboot and boot as normal (not off the USB).
latest test versions of add-ons, often weeks or months ahead of the public stable releases.

Where do I download ?

On this site?-

http://openelec.tv/get-openelec/download...ric-builds

I don't see it mention any portable download for xbmc or openelec

and any any instructions how to go about isntalling portable version ?

Thanks

(08-27-2014, 02:35 PM)whufclee link Wrote: Yes there's two options, OpenELEC or XBMCbuntu.

That is the place, download latest stable build (4.0.7) not the disk image.
Unzip it to a folder on your pc's hard drive. Ensure you have 2 usb sticks ready, pop the first usb stick in the pc and click on 'create installstick' or something very similar. It will ask you to confirm the usb drive and you will then see the progress bar. Once finished the usb stick should have renamed itself openelec, add the 2nd usb stick & restart the pc, enter either the pc bios or boot preference section (usually by hitting either f2, f12 or delete ) and select the boot from usb option - your bios should show the usb you placed openelec setup on, use this and not the 2nd one you just added.
Your pc should now boot into openelec set up. Follow on screen, be careful when selecting the drive to install to, don't choose your hard drive or any other partition that may show ) - choose just the usb stick (you get 2-3 'are you sure' prompts).
Once installed shut down, remove the install stick then place the usb stick you  installed openelec on into the usb port you removed the install stick from (if this is selected in bios as initial boot drive your pc will always look to boot from here 1st - usb stick in, boots to openelec - usb stick out, boots to windows).

If everything works okay you should now boot straight into openelec / xbmc.

Then just add the totalxbmc repo - install the installer, set up your box

Do I need to get a large capcity USB flash drive to put Openelec in ?
I don't need to format my USB stick to Linux before I do this ?
I think by default it is usually Fat32. I don't  need to format it to ExFat before I do the installation  ?

What is miminium I can use to store the program and its files on USB flash drive?
So all the addons in the future and updates would be done on the usb flash drive ?

(08-31-2014, 05:29 AM)Dr Peter OBoogie link Wrote: That is the place, download latest stable build (4.0.7) not the disk image.
Unzip it to a folder on your pc's hard drive. Ensure you have 2 usb sticks ready, pop the first usb stick in the pc and click on 'create installstick' or something very similar. It will ask you to confirm the usb drive and you will then see the progress bar. Once finished the usb stick should have renamed itself openelec, add the 2nd usb stick & restart the pc, enter either the pc bios or boot preference section (usually by hitting either f2, f12 or delete ) and select the boot from usb option - your bios should show the usb you placed openelec setup on, use this and not the 2nd one you just added.
Your pc should now boot into openelec set up. Follow on screen, be careful when selecting the drive to install to, don't choose your hard drive or any other partition that may show ) - choose just the usb stick (you get 2-3 'are you sure' prompts).
Once installed shut down, remove the install stick then place the usb stick you  installed openelec on into the usb port you removed the install stick from (if this is selected in bios as initial boot drive your pc will always look to boot from here 1st - usb stick in, boots to openelec - usb stick out, boots to windows).

If everything works okay you should now boot straight into openelec / xbmc.

Then just add the totalxbmc repo - install the installer, set up your box
All the info you need is here with full step by step instructions. I'm presuming you're using Windows if you're used to FAT32 file structure so have linked directly to the Windows install page but there's links to all the other operating systems there too. You can use whatever size thumbstick you want, depends on what you want to store on there and how much metadata you're planning on storing. A 4gb would be suitable but I'd personally go for 8gb+

I followed instructions to format and put files in first USB stick. But I can get the option for it to boot off my USB drive.
Attached a shot of my boot menu from HP computer. How come there is no option to boot from USB ? Thanks

(09-01-2014, 04:25 PM)zhong link Wrote: I followed instructions to format and put files in first USB stick. But I can't get the option for it to boot off my USB drive.
Attached a shot of my boot menu from HP computer. How come there is no option to boot from USB ? Thanks

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  M8 4K OTT TV Box, how to upgrade XBMC tester22 6 4,806 03-21-2015, 08:53 AM
Last Post: whufclee
  Flash an OpenElec image to SD card using pi-Baker on MacOSX bromerzz 0 985 02-05-2015, 04:00 PM
Last Post: bromerzz
  Install XBMC on Apple TV 2 zhong 8 6,605 01-04-2015, 04:37 PM
Last Post: bromerzz
  Android Handhelds running XBMC mrmajikbus45 0 1,217 06-21-2014, 04:20 AM
Last Post: mrmajikbus45
  How to update Apple TV 2 xbmc daddie05 0 3,851 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: