Sponsored Links:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Easy First Time Setup Guide - READ ME FIRST!
If you're wanting a simple to follow guide where you can get fully setup with Kodi and watching your favourite tv, movies and sport in a matter of minutes then this is the guide you need!

Step 1:
Install Kodi - there are many different devices you can install Kodi on, take a look at this thread for install information. You'll find all the pinned topics at the top are install instructions for the various platforms and devices, just pick the one you need.

Step 2:
Get your settings right - there are a few settings you need to get correct before going any further. The Kodi settings menu is very confusing but don't worry we've made it simple for you and only listed the settings you NEED to change...

Setup screen resolution
Set Location and language
(OPTIONAL but recommended viewing) A video guide explaining ALL the settings

Step 3:
Register for free on this forum - You'll need to be registered on this forum to be able to use The Community Portal (previously called Total Installer) to it's full advantage. More details in next step.

Step 4:
Install The Community Portal - This is the only add-on you're going to need to manually install. There are other inferior alternatives out there but this is based on the original Total Installer (now retired) and by far the best option for installing content - whether you choose to install a pre-configured "build" or individual addons it's all in here. The original developer who created this has now retired [EDIT - whufclee: I'm back!] and our new development team have been given permission  to modify the code as we want - we have made some excellent new additions and will continue to develop the add-on and improve it. If you want the best wizard and addon installer make sure you use The Community Portal - it's the only place you can get every Kodi addon and the code is what all the other inferior alternatives choose to copy!!! Full details of how to install can be found here.

Step 5:
Install a build or content - In The Community Portal  (in your programs section) you have the option to install addons or a whole build, the choice is yours. Addons are Kodi's version of apps you that you install on your phone/tablet, they allow you to access online content and more. If searching for something specific we recommend searching by genre and then you can filter the results by most popular, so if you want a good option for sports search by genre -> sports -> most popular. If you'd rather just install a whole pre-configured setup you can use the Community Builds option, there are lots to choose from but if you can't find the one you want remember to enable XXX content in the settings as some are marked up as having adult content and will only show if this is enabled.

Other useful links:

Understanding Add-ons & Repositories - An essential read before embarking on your Kodi journey, noob friendly!

ISP Blocking - Get around it with this fix.

Buffering (Stop/Start on playback) - The REAL cause and fix can be found here. DO NOT install the zero cache advancedsettings.xml hack unless you know what you're doing. It may well break your device so make sure you read this link before doing anything like that!
Sponsored Links:
New to Total/Community, Novice at XBMC;

instaled from zip ad recieved Community add on enabled pop up.

Community is under add ons but fails due to script error. Unable to access app settings to enter login.

Script Error advice was reset from maintenance tab.

What is maintenance tab and how do I access it?

I performed a manual reset by disable/enable but this didn't work.
There has been lots of changes to the server over the past week and this has caused problems with the addon. Please download the latest one which you can temporarily get from http://i.totalxbmc.tv. Once installed you should find it's working fine but DO NOT press the "check my login" button otherwise it may give false positive and say you are not logged in. This is a bug being fixed, people urgently wanted a version and some were not being patient so this is almost bug free but that will be fixed after weekend.
Is it not better to just remove the visibility of that button. It's in the Add-on Settings, yes?

Why leave potential confusion in the settings when you know it's not working?
The code update had been sent after a bug was found. Coders will not be working weekend so will have to wait until Monday to fix the problem.
Really? This is such a minor change that would clearly save you grief while your coding team take the weekend off!!

Change this in your settings.xml:

Code:
<setting id="dummy" label="[COLOR=yellow]Click here to check login credentials[/COLOR]" type="action" action="XBMC.RunScript(special://home/addons/plugin.program.totalinstaller/checkLogin.py)" option="close"/>

To this and it's job done?

Code:
<setting id="dummy" label="[COLOR=yellow]Click here to check login credentials[/COLOR]" type="action" action="XBMC.RunScript(special://home/addons/plugin.program.totalinstaller/checkLogin.py)" option="close" visible="false"/>

Just trying to help here.
Thankyou for the advice we will get that changed asap Smile
Hi there,
I'm having an issue with finding the totalinstaller...
I followed the text/video instructions. Added the correct path to file manager... but I only get access to the "The_Community_Portal.zip" under Add-ons. No sign of totalinstaller...
Any insight would be appreciated.

(09-14-2015, 12:55 AM)alav link Wrote: Hi there,
I'm having an issue with finding the totalinstaller...
I followed the text/video instructions. Added the correct path to file manager... but I only get access to the "The_Community_Portal.zip" under Add-ons. No sign of totalinstaller...
Any insight would be appreciated.
This is where I'm at too.. is "The_Community_Portal.zip" what we should be installing now? Last time I tried it some errors were logged. (saw the error msg box show up)
Yes that is the one you need, total installer is no more and was replaced by The Community Portal.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [VIDEO] Full Guide To The Initial Settings whufclee 5 7,194 08-10-2016, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Neily Dennis
  Setup Screen Resolution whufclee 6 5,295 01-26-2015, 10:59 AM
Last Post: whufclee