Sponsored Links:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deleting xbmc cache a good idea ?
Does deleting xbmc cache make xbmc run smoother ?

I notice it goes back to first run of xbmc when I do that ?

So it must mean it deletes something from data ?

Is it a good idea to delete xzbmc cache once in awhile to free up space on your device or will it delete some of the settings as well like the username and password for login to Filmon or ExPat ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links:
I've never used the "delete cache" options in addons like xunity maintenance and xbmchub maintenance just because I've never looked into the code to see what it does and I've never come across any documentation to explain what it does!

I would imagine it clears out your artwork, I quite regularly do this as it can mount up. On my Windows install about 2 years ago I deleted my artwork cache and it came to over 20gb!

As you can imagine if you're on a device with limited resources then yes it would be vital to keep emptying the cache (presuming this is what it does) so you don't run out of room. To do this manually you just delete the following:

/userdata/Database/textures13.db
/userdata/Thumbnails (the whole folder)

I presume this is what the maintenance addons do but having never tried them I really couldn't say for certain. Doing the above will only delete all your cached artwork and it will repopulate as you start to browse through more addons and scan content to library.
WANT TO SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION?
A thank you is really all that's needed but if you want to buy me a drink then who am I to argue!

[Image: 11i3ihd.jpg]
only a novice,but everytime i watch something in say genesis or mashup,afterwards iuse their tool to clear cache,once a week i clear xbmc cache,
so far it has never deleted my sign ins.
this is on a X8-H and an MX box.
Likewise on pi, mac and eclipse setups I weekly clear cache and have not lost login details for any channels.
[Image: nansig_bromerzz.png]
How to install the Community Portal
http://noobsandnerds.com/latest/?p=3163
How to upload a log file:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XICDlo_3MFY
Link to Community Builds Forum is:
http://noobsandnerds.com/cb_forum/

Sounds as though that's exactly what it does then. All it will mean is longer loading times when you next go into the addons that require metadata as it will need to reload it all from scratch again. A weekly basis seems a little OTT to me but everyone to their own Wink. I'd say give it a month so next time you go into your addons the artwork you'd have deleted would probably now be on page two anyway due to all the new content so you wouldn't have any slow downs.
A thank you is really all that's needed but if you want to buy me a drink then who am I to argue!

I saw that tutorial you made on YouTube about disabling the metadata on Ice films configure settings. That only prevent the graphic art which downloads which is about 2 megs?
Metadata is not required for Icefilms to be able to find the sources of the latest new movies? So when you delete cache it deletes all the metadata in all your addons? Thanks

(08-24-2014, 02:48 PM)whufclee link Wrote: Sounds as though that's exactly what it does then. All it will mean is longer loading times when you next go into the addons that require metadata as it will need to reload it all from scratch again. A weekly basis seems a little OTT to me but everyone to their own Wink. I'd say give it a month so next time you go into your addons the artwork you'd have deleted would probably now be on page two anyway due to all the new content so you wouldn't have any slow downs.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Well depending on what exactly is is the "clear cache" deletes it may leave some addon related artwork. I think Icefilms stores all it's artwork in the metahandler userdata folder. I don't know if it was ever fixed or not but Icefilms used to be a bit of a nightmare, it would keep a zip file of all the artwork and an extracted folder of it all. The zip was no longer needed by the system but it stayed there and this was doubling the amount of space used. That was about 2-3 years ago I spotted this bug but but no idea whether or not it's been fixed as I haven't used IceFilms in many years now.

What I'd do is make a note of the size of the following folders:

/userdata/thumbnails
/userdata/addon_data/script.module.metahandler

Run the cache cleaner thing and then take a look at those folders again and see if there's any difference in size. If you try this please do let me know as I'd be intrigued to know what is actually deletes.

I made note of how much space these folders have taken up here-

[Image: g5cSwZw.png]

[Image: XWnsTuz.png]

I click on Clear cache here showing 49.2 megs.-

[Image: NZyoMgD.png]

It showed 0 or naught afterwards.

I check the 2 folders afterwards and there was no change in storage space.

The numbers stayed the same as show in screen shots above.

So I don't know what folders or files in which folders were deleted from the 49.2 megs.

(08-24-2014, 09:32 PM)whufclee link Wrote: Well depending on what exactly is is the "clear cache" deletes it may leave some addon related artwork. I think Icefilms stores all it's artwork in the metahandler userdata folder. I don't know if it was ever fixed or not but Icefilms used to be a bit of a nightmare, it would keep a zip file of all the artwork and an extracted folder of it all. The zip was no longer needed by the system but it stayed there and this was doubling the amount of space used. That was about 2-3 years ago I spotted this bug but but no idea whether or not it's been fixed as I haven't used IceFilms in many years now.

What I'd do is make a note of the size of the following folders:

/userdata/thumbnails
/userdata/addon_data/script.module.metahandler

Run the cache cleaner thing and then take a look at those folders again and see if there's any difference in size. If you try this please do let me know as I'd be intrigued to know what is actually deletes.
So what actually deletes and in which folder? The only thing different is Frodo and Gotham runs as first run as if I hadn't run it before. Yet all the shortcuts and addons that were there before are still there.
Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How too remove linux xbmc from android box and restore mhz 3 981 11-15-2016, 02:26 PM
Last Post: whufclee
  Restoring XBMC via backups mcurole 6 2,986 07-13-2015, 03:01 PM
Last Post: txukyt
  Kodi or XBMC which works for Win. XP ? zhong 9 3,948 05-11-2015, 10:11 PM
  Is there a way to toggle between xbmc and desktop? Dalet 8 4,817 04-22-2015, 09:53 AM
Last Post: 0adbylad
  Xbmc pop ups Swanluke 0 622 03-14-2015, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Swanluke
  url error in xbmc gotham dd12 2 2,498 02-24-2015, 08:13 AM
Last Post: DixieDean
  XBMC on Win 7 32-bit PC not working tester22 4 3,649 02-15-2015, 09:50 AM
Last Post: sixties keith
  Nothing works properly on XBMC? HELP firehawk84 3 2,914 01-06-2015, 07:01 PM
  File Manager for XBMC 12.X or 13.X for Windows or Android zhong 1 1,226 10-18-2014, 07:36 PM
  XBMC & Enigma2 .. (VERY Similar) in XML BANDIT 1 1,114 09-22-2014, 10:14 AM