Sponsored Links:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Create Your Own Repository
(06-09-2015, 08:43 PM)DixieDean link Wrote: Here's a screenshot of my repo on my hard disk.

The structure should be like that:

[Image: Screenshot_2015_06_09_21_39_18.png]

Oh ok, ill move my addons_xml_generator.py into the root directory then. Also could you just explain why we need to have the add-ons unpacked in the root directory or the repo and then also have it in zipped in a folder in a folder within the zips directory?
Sponsored Links:
(06-09-2015, 08:58 PM)whufclee link Wrote: Yeah it depends on which addon_xml_generator you're using, there are two or three different ones kicking about. I have a feeling the one Rich uses may automatically create the zips (I used to use one of those) but the one I currently use I run from the zip folder and just put the each addon.xml in each add-on folder.

So long as you don't have test code in your root then you could do it the same way as Rich, doesn't really make much difference but you must have an addon.xml in each add-on folder as the code picks up the details from each one of those files.

Im using the addons_xml_generator.py from this wiki: http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Create_a_re...or_add-ons

Which one are you using Whufclee?
To be honest I can't remember which one it is, think it's quite an old one that I used to use for an old googlecode repo about 3-4 years ago. You can download it or open the file and copy the contents if you want.

The reason you need the addon.xml files extracted is so that the generator can search through the folders and extract the information from each file (it searches through every sub-folder in the directory the generator is located at). This information is used to build the addons.xml - this is the file that lists all the add-ons and is the file Kodi checks against to see what you have on the repo. The zips are required as that's what Kodi downloads and then it shoves the zips in the packages folder on your system and extracts them and installs any dependencies needed.
WANT EARLY DEVELOPMENT RELEASE ACCESS?
All users who've helped out with a donation can now gain early access to the
latest test versions of add-ons, often weeks or months ahead of the public stable releases.

[Image: 11i3ihd.jpg]
(06-09-2015, 08:59 PM)Harvinder link Wrote: [quote author=DixieDean link=topic=4531.msg21394#msg21394 date=1433882613]
Here's a screenshot of my repo on my hard disk.

The structure should be like that:

Oh ok, ill move my addons_xml_generator.py into the root directory then. Also could you just explain why we need to have the add-ons unpacked in the root directory or the repo and then also have it in zipped in a folder in a folder within the zips directory?
[/quote]

The unpacked folders are your source code for github and the zips are what Kodi downloads and installs/updates.
Thanks for explaining it all for me guys, you have taught me allot, much appreciated.

I decided to give this generator a go and it creates the zips for you etc: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=129401 and when it creates the addons.xml file it has the data in it, unlike the other generator..

I have placed this generator in my zips folder, just wanted to know when i update my unpacked add-on in the root directory do I copy the add-on folder to the zips directory and then run the generator? Not sure sure of the process of updating my add-on? Do I need to manually update the changelog.txt and the version number in the add-on.xml?

Thanks in Advance
I use the generator that creates the zips too.

You don't need to move anything, just run it from the top level(root) of your repo and it creates everything for you.

The only thing it fails to do (if yours is the same script) is add the version number to the end of the changelog file.

I just edit the filename from changelog.txt to changelog-x.x.x.txt after the script has finished.

I've never got round to fixing that. lol
(06-09-2015, 10:23 PM)DixieDean link Wrote: I use the generator that creates the zips too.

You don't need to move anything, just run it from the top level(root) of your repo and it creates everything for you.

The only thing it fails to do (if yours is the same script) is add the version number to the end of the changelog file.

I just edit the filename from changelog.txt to changelog-x.x.x.txt after the script has finished.

I've never got round to fixing that. lol

Im using the script called repo_prep.py which i linked to in the above post, it creates everything for you and the zip. BUT the only thing is if i run it from the root directory it zips up my unpacked GitHub source code?

P.S When i update my add-on do I need to manually edit the addon.xml version number and do I need to add changes to the changelog.txt ?
Damn I need to start using that one again, can't remember why I stopped using it now - sure there must have been a valid reason at the time lol. Just to add to what Rich said, you will need to manually bump your version number in each addon.xml every time you've made a change that you want to push. If you only update one of the add-ons you only need to change that one, you don't need to update every one each time, it's only if you've made a change to that particular add-on and you want to push the update out to the world Smile
WANT EARLY DEVELOPMENT RELEASE ACCESS?
All users who've helped out with a donation can now gain early access to the
latest test versions of add-ons, often weeks or months ahead of the public stable releases.

[Image: 11i3ihd.jpg]
This is the one I run from the root of my repo:

https://github.com/DixieDean/Dixie-Deans...nerator.py

(06-09-2015, 10:35 PM)whufclee link Wrote: Damn I need to start using that one again, can't remember why I stopped using it now - sure there must have been a valid reason at the time lol. Just to add to what Rich said, you will need to manually bump your version number in each addon.xml every time you've made a change that you want to push. If you only update one of the add-ons you only need to change that one, you don't need to update every one each time, it's only if you've made a change to that particular add-on and you want to push the update out to the world Smile

Thanks again for all the information very helpful.

Just one thing, if I'm editing the GIT source in the root directory and then I use the generator in the root directory it zips up the source code which means id have to create a copy of the source code elsewhere so i can move it back to the root directory for future development. Or am i doing it wrong?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Create my own repository/wizard help DJH21 1 93 12-20-2016, 09:38 PM
Last Post: whufclee
  Create Your First Addon whufclee 7 1,817 02-06-2016, 07:39 PM
Last Post: kodikraze
  Create addon with list populated from web pipcan 2 918 11-02-2015, 03:22 PM
Last Post: houdin24