Sponsored Links:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Create Your Own Repository
UPDATE - 8th May 2017: As the original information here is still fairly relevant I'll leave this thread here but for advice on creating/using github for repositories please use this new video:

-------------------------------------------------

ORIGINAL (NOW DATED) POST:

Although the video guide below was initially designed for showing how to upload community builds (it didn't really work very well for that!) it's a good guide to follow for the basics of setting up your own repo. If you want to create your own add-on repository then follow this guide and also use the official wiki which has the extra info you'll need on how to setup the structure.

WANT TO SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION?
A thank you is really all that's needed but if you want to buy me a drink then who am I to argue!

[Image: 11i3ihd.jpg]
Sponsored Links:
Thanks for the video its was really helpful, I've created my github repo, how do I add it as a source on kodi?

Thanks in Advance
File manager - add source - enter the url of your repo. Then install from zip in the add ons section of System menu.
[Image: nansig_arb.png]
I think there may be some confusion here...

If you want to just add a standard index page like http://i.totalxbmc.tv you'll need to get your own domain and server and simply upload whatever files you want on there - you can then add the URL as a source in Kodi. I don't think github allows for this, googlecode does but they are dropping that service very soon so I wouldn't recommend using that!

If you want a kodi add-on repository then just follow the guide shown above and use the official wiki page I linked to for information on how to create the relevant files. If you need help with that just let us know what part you're stuck on and I'll do my best to talk you through it.
A thank you is really all that's needed but if you want to buy me a drink then who am I to argue!

(06-08-2015, 01:24 PM)andrewrb link Wrote: File manager - add source - enter the url of your repo. Then install from zip in the add ons section of System menu.

My repo is a Github repo, so what would my url be for the repo? Ive tried to add the url thats in the video but when i try to install a zip from the repo it doesn't install it, it just opens the zip?
(06-08-2015, 02:03 PM)whufclee link Wrote: I think there may be some confusion here...

If you want to just add a standard index page like http://i.totalxbmc.tv you'll need to get your own domain and server and simply upload whatever files you want on there - you can then add the URL as a source in Kodi. I don't think github allows for this, googlecode does but they are dropping that service very soon so I wouldn't recommend using that!

If you want a kodi add-on repository then just follow the guide shown above and use the official wiki page I linked to for information on how to create the relevant files. If you need help with that just let us know what part you're stuck on and I'll do my best to talk you through it.

Yes I'm confused, whats the difference between an add-on repo and the i.totalxbmc.tv? and I just want to have somewhere where i can store my add-ons and builds? I have my own HTTP server and domain etc..
A repository is an online location for your code, most developers use github as it keeps history of older versions so if anything goes wrong you can easily revert back to older code and can also create new branches whilst testing and merging code.

It sounds as though you just want somewhere to store files rather than an actual code repository? If that's the case just upload your files to your server - you'll most likely need to put the files in a sub-directory of public_html. If you want a proper repository where you can install your own repo file onto Kodi so it automatically picks up new updates then I'd recommend github. Whatever you do DO NOT upload duplicates of others peoples work unless you're forking it and renaming accordingly, that is very bad practice and won't earn you any friends in the community!

(06-08-2015, 08:04 PM)whufclee link Wrote: A repository is an online location for your code, most developers use github as it keeps history of older versions so if anything goes wrong you can easily revert back to older code and can also create new branches whilst testing and merging code.

It sounds as though you just want somewhere to store files rather than an actual code repository? If that's the case just upload your files to your server - you'll most likely need to put the files in a sub-directory of public_html. If you want a proper repository where you can install your own repo file onto Kodi so it automatically picks up new updates then I'd recommend github. Whatever you do DO NOT upload duplicates of others peoples work unless you're forking it and renaming accordingly, that is very bad practice and won't earn you any friends in the community!

Thanks for explaining that to me. I have created a sub-directory on my server and i have added an add-on.zip for testing but when I add the url as a source in kodi (in file manager) it doesn't show any files that are in the directory its just blank?

As for GitHub Ive created a test repo and I've also added an add-on.zip for testing. But how do I add it to kodi as repository? Ive clicked the zip and copied the link (as shown in the video), when i add the link/url as a source in kodi and it displays the add-on.zip but when I click it, it just open/goes into the zip file and display the contents/files within the .zip?

Also if I just use my server will the add-ons not auto update?

Thanks in Advance
For addons to auto-update you really need to follow the wiki guide I linked to, you'll need to create an addons.xml file and also a repository file too. Take a look at my repo here.

You'll see that I have my zips located in a sub-folder called zips, also inside that folder is a file called addons_xml_generator.py - this needs to be run on your local machine every time you update an addon and then you upload, it will create the relevant addons.xml file and also create an md5 file. Without these files Kodi will not know it needs to update.

Also take a look at my repository zip file (the addon.xml file is the one you need to be looking at). Follow that same structure but replace with your github repo locations. If you get stuck post the links you have for your repo and I'll guide you through it.

(06-08-2015, 09:14 PM)whufclee link Wrote: For addons to auto-update you really need to follow the wiki guide I linked to, you'll need to create an addons.xml file and also a repository file too. Take a look at my repo here.

You'll see that I have my zips located in a sub-folder called zips, also inside that folder is a file called addons_xml_generator.py - this needs to be run on your local machine every time you update an addon and then you upload, it will create the relevant addons.xml file and also create an md5 file. Without these files Kodi will not know it needs to update.

Also take a look at my repository zip file (the addon.xml file is the one you need to be looking at). Follow that same structure but replace with your github repo locations. If you get stuck post the links you have for your repo and I'll guide you through it.

Ok this is for GitHub and auto updating add-ons, ill have a play around with it and see how I get on and update you accordingly.

As for just hosting files on my HTTP server, how do I go about that, what special files do I need on my server?

Thanks again.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Create Your First Addon whufclee 17 3,770 05-08-2017, 09:34 AM
Last Post: whufclee
  Create my own repository/wizard help DJH21 1 412 12-20-2016, 09:38 PM
  [BROKEN] Create your own Youtube addon in under 5 minutes whufclee 2 1,178 11-04-2015, 01:10 PM
Last Post: liinux
  Create addon with list populated from web pipcan 2 1,306 11-02-2015, 03:22 PM
Last Post: houdin24
  Can someone create an addon for this site? ministerdoc 1 953 01-29-2015, 09:07 AM