• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
made my first kodi wizard. now how to update it?
just finished my kodi build wizard form a youtube video. watched the second video on how to update it and it seems the author only knows how to write over the current build when updating. how  can i update my friends and fams builds with completly (fresh start) wiping data and and run my wizard? something like community portal and ares wizard would do. addons stop working and no sense keeping them on the updated build. only taking up space. please help
THX!!
It's very bad practice to totally wipe and reinstall from fresh every time you update a build. If you're only doing an update once in a blue moon then fair enough it shouldn't cause too much harm but if you're planning on regularly updating a build you'll slowly kill the hardware - especially if it's something with poor quality internal storage (such as a set top box or even worse a stick).

If there are specific add-ons you want to remove you should create a function to remove those add-ons. Really is a simple piece of code, you just need something like this:

shutil.rmtree(xbmc.translatePath('special://home/addons/<addon_name>'))

That will remove the folder and any sub-folders in the path given, in the example above it would be a specific add-on folder.
Simplest option would probably be to create a text file full of plugin id's that you want to delete and host that online. Get your wizard to check against that file and loop through each entry in the list running that command above but obviously replacing <addon_name> with the relevant plugin id.

I can't stress enough just how bad it is to force a user into wiping their kodi clean just to update a few files. Well that is unless you're a box seller and you want to significantly reduce the lifespan of your units to improve sales lol.
IMPORTANT:
NO LOG == NO PROBLEM
Away
(04-24-2016, 07:39 PM)whufclee Wrote: It's very bad practice to totally wipe and reinstall from fresh every time you update a build. If you're only doing an update once in a blue moon then fair enough it shouldn't cause too much harm but if you're planning on regularly updating a build you'll slowly kill the hardware - especially if it's something with poor quality internal storage (such as a set top box or even worse a stick).

If there are specific add-ons you want to remove you should create a function to remove those add-ons. Really is a simple piece of code, you just need something like this:

That will remove the folder and any sub-folders in the path given, in the example above it would be a specific add-on folder.
Simplest option would probably be to create a text file full of plugin id's that you want to delete and host that online. Get your wizard to check against that file and loop through each entry in the list running that command above but obviously replacing <addon_name> with the relevant plugin id.

I can't stress enough just how bad it is to force a user into wiping their kodi clean just to update a few files. Well that is unless you're a box seller and you want to significantly reduce the lifespan of your units to improve sales lol.

no i'm not box seller. but addons come and go,and i didn't know there was another way to do this. my friends and fam all have boxes with my build because i make easy for everyone to navigate and always update my box when needed. it's beginning to be a pain in the ass to do everybody's though. but i change the skin and menu/submenu so often using super faves A LOT! that i don't know another way to remote update their boxes
Can your method work with what i'm looking to do?
Yes is a reasonably simple piece of code. What is your level of expertise with coding? I know you said you managed to create your own wizard so presumably you know some of the basics of python?

A for loop is really all you need and a bit of regex to pull the info from the text file with your plugin IDs you need removing. Probably looking at around 15 lines of code I'd imagine.

However if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself we will have a solution in one of the upcoming new addons Smile

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
IMPORTANT:
NO LOG == NO PROBLEM
Away
(04-24-2016, 07:39 PM)whufclee Wrote: It's very bad practice to totally wipe and reinstall from fresh every time you update a build. If you're only doing an update once in a blue moon then fair enough it shouldn't cause too much harm but if you're planning on regularly updating a build you'll slowly kill the hardware - especially if it's something with poor quality internal storage (such as a set top box or even worse a stick).

Hi

This is EXACTLY what I want to do, but when I created my wizard I followed an "idiot's guide" and used a template, so don't know much about python. I'm not averse to learning, but can't really follow the instructions here. Or has an add-on now been developed that will remove redundant content from the wizard?

Thanks in advance for any help.
It will be included in the upcoming <as yet unnamed> CP replacement. Got the security shield one done and now just working on some big updates to TVP - that's going to take at least a week of my time. After that there's a few more new add-ons that are currently a WIP (including the one you're after) so shouldn't be too much longer with any luck. Maybe a month, possibly a bit more as I have holidays booked up.
IMPORTANT:
NO LOG == NO PROBLEM
Away
(06-02-2016, 03:15 PM)whufclee Wrote: It will be included in the upcoming <as yet unnamed> CP replacement. Got the security shield one done and now just working on some big updates to TVP - that's going to take at least a week of my time. After that there's a few more new add-ons that are currently a WIP (including the one you're after) so shouldn't be too much longer with any luck. Maybe a month, possibly a bit more as I have holidays booked up.

Sounds great, thanks Smile
(06-02-2016, 03:43 PM)nachoman Wrote:
(06-02-2016, 03:15 PM)whufclee Wrote: It will be included in the upcoming <as yet unnamed> CP replacement. Got the security shield one done and now just working on some big updates to TVP - that's going to take at least a week of my time. After that there's a few more new add-ons that are currently a WIP (including the one you're after) so shouldn't be too much longer with any luck. Maybe a month, possibly a bit more as I have holidays booked up.

Sounds great, thanks Smile

I just came across this great thread. Must say I love all the new addons this team has created. Is this new addon the will remove addons still iin the works or is it available?  I have a similar situation to the original poster, where my family lives states apart ffrom me and they are not as computer savsay,  this addon would be great. Agian thanks for all the hard work and great addons.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Problems With Wizard The_Hunted 6 733 01-07-2018, 10:57 PM
Last Post: solo24
  Error during wizard build install...? log Berl 0 130 12-01-2017, 03:30 PM
Last Post: Berl
  Create my own repository/wizard help DJH21 2 690 10-29-2017, 05:58 AM
Last Post: Berl
  Aftermath Wizard Log Mailer Based_Skid 6 401 07-18-2017, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Based_Skid
  automatically update builds? Berry Burchett 2 269 07-01-2017, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Berry Burchett
  help with apk aftermath wizard doublevision 3 545 05-29-2017, 04:06 AM
Last Post: doublevision
Thumbs Up fresh start wizard exclusion 17.1 doublevision 9 907 05-02-2017, 11:08 AM
Last Post: Surfacingx
  Tutorial for build wizard on Kodi 17? hyp0xia 4 675 02-24-2017, 10:04 PM
Last Post: OptimusGREEN
  Internationalization made easy Quihico 1 473 01-24-2017, 08:26 AM
Last Post: whufclee
  Build and Wizard Creation _Crozzer_ 9 1,299 01-11-2017, 10:22 AM
Last Post: Y05h1mura