• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buffering: The cause and solution
Sorry if I am looking in the wrong place but I can't find the advanced settings xml that used to be in tweaks. Has it been moved?

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Sorry Lee I think I might be getting confused. I used to install your advanced settings as per the video on page one which allowed more of the movie to download when paused. Is this the same file that is now in the Xbox section? Can it damage my Android box? I have used it on my LibreELEC box in the past without problems.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
Yes that's the same file. As explained in the video yes it will lessen the life expectancy of set top boxes. Some considerably more than others,depends on the internal components used.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk
IMPORTANT:
NO LOG == NO PROBLEM
Away
Thank you very much for the confirmation.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk
Thanks for sharing, you may want to mention the side effects of disabling hardware acceleration and also clearing cache in your blog though. Disabling hardware acceleration can improve some issues (generally on cheap Android devices with poor firmware) but disabling it can also cause other streams to fail to play or you could end up with audio only.

As far as clearing cache goes, again that's generally only any use on low spec devices that run out of storage space quickly - something like a Firestick and it definitely shouldn't be done on a regular basis and only as a last resort. If you've got a device you need to run clear cache on regularly then there are bigger issues to deal with and you should look into making your setup might lighter.
IMPORTANT:
NO LOG == NO PROBLEM
Away
Just gonna pop in and say that although its reported that advanced settings might be useless these days I just can't seem to stray away from using mine

<advancedsettings>
<network>
<buffermode>2</buffermode>
<cachemembuffersize>524288000</cachemembuffersize>
<readbufferfactor>5</readbufferfactor>
<curlclienttimeout>10</curlclienttimeout>
<curllowspeedtime>10</curllowspeedtime>
</network>
</advancedsettings>

Not everyone's cup of tea but works really good for me.
Personal preference I suppose

Sent from my P2 using Tapatalk
Definitely not useless mate, I've got some devices it really can make a difference on. Can just be a bit of a pain in the arse getting it setup for each device. May I ask what the specs are of that device you're running those settings on?
IMPORTANT:
NO LOG == NO PROBLEM
Away
SoC – Amlogic S812 quad core cortex A9r4 @ 2.0 GHz with octa-core Mali-450MP6 GPUSystem Memory – 2 GB DDR3 Ram – 16 GB flash, SD card slotConnectivity – 10/100M Ethernet, dual band 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0 (AP6330 wireless module)

Always used the same since my RPI days lol.

Never used any program for my advanced settings, created long ago from here..
http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_the_video_cache

Probably a little off what is recommended but it works perfectly for my devices.

So.... Only just seen the K17 changes lol.
New advanced XML created and is now....

<advancedsettings>
<network>
<memorysize>524288000</memorysize>
<readfactor>5</readfactor>
</network>
</advancedsettings>

Did you see something wrong with the file Lee ?

(07-22-2017, 05:17 PM)Slymobi Wrote: SoC – Amlogic S812 quad core cortex A9r4 @ 2.0 GHz with octa-core Mali-450MP6 GPUSystem Memory – 2 GB DDR3 Ram – 16 GB flash, SD card slotConnectivity – 10/100M Ethernet, dual band 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0 (AP6330 wireless module)

Always used the same since my RPI days lol.

Never used any program for my advanced settings, created long ago from here..
http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_the_video_cache

Probably a little off what is recommended but it works perfectly for my devices.

So.... Only just seen the K17 changes lol.
New advanced XML created and is now....

<advancedsettings>
<network>
<memorysize>524288000</memorysize>
<readfactor>5</readfactor>
</network>
</advancedsettings>

Not sure if it was a typo, but from the link you provided "In Kodi v17, the cache-related tags were removed from <network> and placed under a new <cache> tag." so your advancedsettings.xml still needs another change.
Hope this helps...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cache/buffering mikeystipe 2 634 05-29-2017, 01:31 PM
Last Post: bromerzz
  pre buffering maddp777 5 979 07-21-2016, 08:42 AM
Last Post: maddp777
  Buffering HD on XBMC liam-909 0 1,878 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Buffering issue rainman287 0 635 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: