Sponsored Links:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buffering: The cause and solution
Sponsored Links:
How to cache to External SDcard speed up video buffering, faster and smoother video streaming.

Hi all,This is not my work
After an extensive search for the answer for the below issues, I believe I found the solutions:
a) Commoncache error if attempted to edit Advancedsettings.xml file to do path substitution to SDcard
b) Long buffering while watching movies, specially 720/1080 movies.
c) Looking for faster and smoother video streaming playback
d) cache loads faster when try to click on "date release", "new movies", "all 720 movies" etc...
e) Cache full message after buffering.
Solution:
** Make sure you buy a class 10 high speed card (30mb/sec) and FORMAT with ext4 or exFAT or FAT32.
1) Download an app called "External to Internal", launch the app and make sure the internal and external sdcard path are configured correctly
In the app settings:
Internal path - /mnt/scdard
External path - /mnt/external_sd
Put a check on "Rescan"
In the app Main menu, make sure "on boot" is checked then tab on the internal->external button. You should received a popup notification ->"swap done".
To verify, use root explorer or ES file explorer to check directory /mnt/external_sd. You should see the exact folders layout as directory /mnt/sdcard.
2) If you are using Advancedsettings.xml file, make a backup. Install xbmctalk maintenance program from Xunitytalk. After installed you should see it under PROGRAMS.
Launch this, select xbmctalk TWEAKS, then select "Add 0 cache Advanced XML". This will create a new Advancedsettings.xml file.
Note: you can skip step 2 if you know how to config your own Advancedsettings.xml file for 0 cache limit.
3) Reboot your device and enjoy smoother, faster movie play back.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/eMe.../dp/B00GW3...f=sr_1_112...

Is there an idiots step-by-step guide to do this? You need to do ALL below steps:
1) download this software https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/ install it on your PC and use it to format your SDcard with exFAT.
Once done put your sdcard back to your device
2) Download External 2 Internal app from play store https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...codlab.
int2ext install this on your device, launch the app and make sure the internal and external sdcard path are configured correctly
In the app settings:
Internal path - /mnt/scdard
External path - /mnt/external_sd
Put a check on "Rescan"
In the app Main menu, make sure "on boot" is checked then tab on the internal->external button. You should received a popup notification ->"swap done".
3) Now you need to install xbmctalk maintenance program from Xunitytalk. After installed you should see it under PROGRAMS. Launch "xbmctalk maintenance",
select "xbmctalk TWEAKS", then select "Add 0 cache Advanced XML". This will create a new Advancedsettings.xml file.
Once close and exit xbmc then re launch xbmc and try to play a stream movie

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/
Thanks for posting this, I'm glad you did as it is a solution of sorts but I must give a warning to any users wanting to do this...

Essentially what this method is doing is making the Android device think that the SD Card is internal storage and so you can move/install your apps to the SD card - I used to use this on an old phone that didn't have much flash storage. It works quite well and of course it will allow you to cache to the SD card as that's where XBMC is installed, I actually done a thread on how to do this a year or so ago on xbmchub but it's not something I'd recommend.

As I mentioned in the video in the first post caching to your storage device will cause lots of wear and tear, on a mechanical HDD I don't really see a massive problem - yes it will probably lessen the life expectancy by a few years but they are sturdy units so if it's a decent HDD it shouldn't be a problem. However caching to an SD card is not something I would suggest, a good quality class10 you can probably get away with it working for a while but I don't think it would take long for that card to become corrupt - once corrupt you've lost everything and the card has to be binned (I've corrupted plenty over the years with the r-pi!). Of course it's entirely up to the user whether or not they want to take this chance but remember your XBMC will also be installed to that device (and possibly other apps) so at very least always make sure you do regular backups of the SD card otherwise you will lose everything Sad.
WANT EARLY DEVELOPMENT RELEASE ACCESS?
All users who've helped out with a donation can now gain early access to the
latest test versions of add-ons, often weeks or months ahead of the public stable releases.

[Image: 11i3ihd.jpg]
I am new to Kodi etc. but hey is that IRC on this website, cool!  I have an android CS918 and it's preloaded up but yes I am having issues with buffering HD movies.  I have 20mb down stream so good internet tested within the wired ethernet android box interface on the speedtest.net and the SD movies play fine.  I have been reading this thread and trying to digest it.  Am I reading that a USB drive can be used to increase the cache size to help those HD movies a bit?  I'd be happy if I could run them at 720p stready although my TV is 1080p.  I'm jumping the bandwagon from downloading them outright and streaming from PC to the xbox in HD which is fairly easy in comparison as a newbie, at the moment.

Also trying to figure out why my android box is greyed out so I can't change the resolution from windowed 1280x mode to something else, more googling.
If your android settings are greyed out it most likely means the firmware you're using is locked at 1280x720p and if you haven't already then the first thing you should be looking at is updating the firmware. Take a look on FreakTab and see what is available for your device, if there's one by Finless Bob, Codesnake or JustMe they would be the ones I'd be looking for. As a general rule of thumb the firmware installed at factory is pretty useless and you could encounter all sorts of issues - you may also want to check if there is a special version of XBMC/Kodi available for your particular chipset.

All the details are in the first post but no you cannot cache to an external HDD, you can only cache to the storage device XBMC/Kodi is installed to. There is a workaround if you read the 2 posts above your first post but it's not something I'd recommend (reasons are in the post above yours). Could well be the source you're using to be honest, give something like YiFy HD a go and see how that fares - that's usually buffer free streams.
latest test versions of add-ons, often weeks or months ahead of the public stable releases.

Hi. I came across this thread as I am literally pulling my hair out  :BangHead: with my Android MX3 box (2GB/8GB) which on the surface appears zippy but for things like the NBC Live Sports Extra plugin in Kodi it just buffers every 30 seconds or so unless I choose SD stream around 900kbps.

A quick speedtest.net shows my BB to be around 38mb/s and I have chosed to use SmartDNS which has the lowest ping and minimal effect on my BB speeds. Wired ethernet connection straight to my router.

The same setup on my PC (i7 well specd box) allows Kodi to run stream at 1080p (HD 3450kbit/s) with no hiccups. This sits behind a pair of 600mbs homeplugs (mains networking) on another floor of the house.

I THINK i have tried all permutations of advancedsettings.xml for the Android box which doesn't have any SD card but I had thought that the internal RAM/storage should handle buffering? Do I need to get a high speed SD card and somehow configure the box to use that for buffering? How can I be certain that Kodi is actually doing anything with the advancedsettings.xml file and finally do I have to restart Kodi each time I change this file?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Cheers

With android it gets very difficult to diagnose what the problem could be as there are so many variables to consider. First thing I would check is that the firmware you're running on the box is a good one, the guys at FreakTab will be able to help you on that one - a poor firmware (most stock ones are pretty terrible) can cause all sorts of weird issues.

As it's a live stream I don't think any of the advancedsettings.xml options are going to help you at all - these are settings based on media that can be cached and not live streams. There may well now be new advancedsettings added that can improve live streaming but none that I'm aware of and none that I can think would make any difference.

Before going down the route of messing with firmware I would try installing the special Oman 13.2 build of XBMC as that runs flawlessly on that chipset (providing a decent firmware is installed). Our TRMk1 units have the same S802 chipset as the MX3 and with stock firmware there was nothing but problems (even with the Oman build) but as soon as we had a decent firmware made the problems disappeared and I can confirm Oman 13.2 is absolute class. Another thing you may want to consider trying is the VPNicity addon, it's subscription based but there's a 3-day money back guarantee so it could be worth trying. I use that with NBC on my TRMk1 and although I lower it to the highest SD quality (just because that NEVER buffers) I've watched plenty of stuff from that addon in full HD before. May be worth a go so you can also eliminate your SmartDNS.

Thanks so much for the reply. Really appreciate people who take the time to help others. Notice I held off uploading my avatar until I heard back from you Wink

Hadn't realised that live streams were not helped with cache. So I'm guessing the cache comes into play when playing films from a web Source (Streamed). Always like running the latest software too, but guessing I should drop back from Kodi 14 to Xbmc that is integrated with the other firmware. Stupidly I deleted the xbmc that came preinstalled after I installed kodi!! Hey ho.

I may try to change firmware to see if it helps. I'm running 110k4 for this M82 model (MX3).

Thanks again!
Definitely give the Oman build a go mate, as it's XBMC and not Kodi I'm pretty sure you can run that alongside Kodi if you want without there being any conflicts. The Oman 13.2 build available on Freaktab is designed for that very specific chipset you have, if you encounter any problems running that then you know your firmware is crap.

LOL yeah before reading your post I just noticed there being a new avatar on this page. Time to wash my eyes with bleach I think!

Installed the Oman 13.2 build of Xbmc and does seem a bit more stable and less audio sync issues. Still bugged like hell about the constant buffering of the NBC live sports extra, which even happens on 600kbps setting in crappy pixely SD (slightly less but every few minutes and enough to annoy the hell out of me). I notice my Sony tablet runs even Hd HD over wifi from same add on with much less buffering so I suspect something about this MX3 box and/or its setup is flawed.

Ive just ordered the M8 box running Android and planning to  flash it with the Armada Mach 8 ROM (linux) if possible as my feeling is that this extra layer in Android causes half the problems. My windows PC still runs all the streams from the add on at 1080p with hardly any buffering ever.

I so hope I'm right as I've spent so much time on this, all to get more reliable footy stream, although I won't be needing the box with my cup final ticket Wink

I've no clue about linux so expect I'll have to invest many more hours on this.

Thoughts mate?

Cheers

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pre buffering maddp777 5 483 07-21-2016, 08:42 AM
Last Post: maddp777
  Buffering HD on XBMC liam-909 0 1,681 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Buffering issue rainman287 0 526 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Cache/buffering mikeystipe 0 422 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: