Sponsored Links:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buffering: The cause and solution
Hello Forum

I have a query regarding cache. I am using Raspberry Pi with a 32GB USB3.0 Drive. I have a minimalist set up with the Confluence skin. I use Genesis and TRAKTand a few add ons (VPNicity, ONTapp, Ice Films, Total Installer to name the main ones).

When I stream a show, say a 45 minute episode, it will often buffer at the start. When it reaches 4 or 5% I get a message like "Cache full before reaching…….." I don’t see all of the message.

Checking the file system shows STORAGE has about 26GB available

I cannot find anywhere where this cache is so I can delete it. Maybe the SD card holds the cache and if it does there is almost 8GB available
My Advanced Settings and Overclocking settings are below. I would appreciate advice on how to resolve this cache issue as shows often stop and start etc.

ADVANCED SETTINGS

<?xml version="1.0"?>
-<advancedsettings>
-<network>
<cachemembuffersize>0</cachemembuffersize>
<buffermode>1</buffermode>
<readbufferfactor>4.0</readbufferfactor>
</network>
</advancedsettings>

CONFIG

arm_freq=1000
  core_freq=500
  sdram_freq=500
  over_voltage=6

force_turbo=1
Sponsored Links:
Strange, those settings look good to me. Can you do a test to make sure you have the pi setup correctly? We need to make sure you've got a USB install and aren't simply just using the USB stick as storage only.

Go to settings>appearance>file lists (make sure showing of hidden files is enabled)
In the XBMC file manager create a file called "test" in your profile directory
Navigate to the USB stick (STORAGE)/.xbmc/ and look for your file.

I can't remember off hand where the profile directory on a pi links to, if it's not the root of XBMC then it will be the userdata folder so you may need to check in there for your file. If your file is there then that means you're running off a USB stick and not the SD so all is good, if it's not there you'll need to re-do your setup properly. I would certainly not recommend caching to SD, that would kill an SD card in no time.

The other thing to check would be your advancedsettings.xml file, make sure it's in the root of your userdata folder and there are no spelling mistakes in the filename.

What should actually happen with the zero cache is if you pause the video and bring up the codec info (press 'o') you should be able to see the cache filling up. With your setup it should continue until the whole video has cached. As far as the location of the cache, who knows where it is! There doesn't appear to be any documentation on that but it's deleted once playback has stopped, I'd imagine if you really want to try and find where it is you'd probably be best to SSH into the pi whilst it's paused and caching then look for what folders are getting larger.
WANT TO SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION?
A thank you is really all that's needed but if you want to buy me a drink then who am I to argue!

[Image: 11i3ihd.jpg]
Lee, did all of the above tests. Couldn't work out how to create a test file, did a test directory instead and it was located as you said (STORAGE)/.xbmc/

However could not find the advancedsettings.xml file although I know it is on the SD card

Reading some of the earlier posts, i experimented with changing readbufferfactor from 4 to 12 and there seemed to be an improvement. Pressing 'o' on the keyboard I could see the cache changing but still didn't cache the entire show
Hi Scooby the location for the advancedsettings.xml on the pi should be located here.......

/storage/.xbmc/userdata/advancedsettings.xml

If you know how to log in via putty...

You could try typing this command (it will just show your advanced setting file on the screen) it's just to check the file is in the right place.

cat .xbmc/userdata/advancedsettings.xml
As invisable says your advancedsettings.xml should be in STORAGE which in your case is not on the SD card but on the USB stick.
A thank you is really all that's needed but if you want to buy me a drink then who am I to argue!

(12-09-2014, 11:21 AM)whufclee link Wrote: As invisable says your advancedsettings.xml should be in STORAGE which in your case is not on the SD card but on the USB stick.

Just to chip in - I have also created an advance settings xml file for my TR Mk1 and placed it in the userdata folder which I navigated to via my Networked Mac to the TR Mk1.  Not at home currently but the path to the userdata folder didn't include "STORAGE" but I assume I've placed the file in the correct location as now my cache fills up above the previous 20MB.  Is the cache just writing to the the TR MK1's onboard RAM - this is what I assumed or does the TR MK1 have in internal SD card which I may inadvertently be writing to (I don't want to be doing that).

Anyway, these are the settings I have used in my advanced settings (TBH I just copied them from Example 4 on the Kodi wiki link given earlier in the thread)  They seem to work but any guidance on wether they are suitable / overkill would be appreciated and what values may be better to use:

<advancedsettings>
  <network>
    <buffermode>1</buffermode>
    <cachemembuffersize>157286400</cachemembuffersize>
    <readbufferfactor>20</readbufferfactor>
  </network>
</advancedsettings>

Kit: TR Mk1
Firmware: Finless Bobs ROM
As you've used a number in the cache section it will use ram. Using zero cache would cache to whatever storage device xbmc is installed to and isn't something I'd recommend on a soc type device. That being said I'm using zero cache just out of curiosity to see if it breaks my unit!

(12-09-2014, 03:12 PM)whufclee link Wrote: As you've used a number in the cache section it will use ram. Using zero cache would cache to whatever storage device xbmc is installed to and isn't something I'd recommend on a soc type device. That being said I'm using zero cache just out of curiosity to see if it breaks my unit!

So my advance settings look okay for the TR Mk1?  The one minor change I guess would be setting the buffermode to 0 as my local media (external USB connected 2TB HDD) won't really benefit from caching to the RAM.  Reading around I thought value 0 for cachemembuffersize wasn't what I wanted for the reasons you say - I guess XBMC installed on my Mac with a 2TB internal drive then setting a cache setting of 0 would be more appropriate?
Kit: TR Mk1
Firmware: Finless Bobs ROM
The advanced settings file is on my SD card as that is where I saved it  when I set up pi. Using my networked MAC I can easily move the file to STORAGE/Userdata and delete the copy on the SD card. Should I do this?

Also is this setting correct:

<cachemembuffersize>0</cachemembuffersize>
Yes to all the questions in the 2 posts above Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cache/buffering mikeystipe 2 522 05-29-2017, 01:31 PM
Last Post: bromerzz
  pre buffering maddp777 5 808 07-21-2016, 08:42 AM
Last Post: maddp777
  Buffering HD on XBMC liam-909 0 1,796 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Buffering issue rainman287 0 585 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: